Pages

Friday, September 19, 2014

A Letter to My Debaters on Opening Weekend

(I have three young debate teams traveling to Nickerson tomorrow and I can't drive them there since I am in Topeka with four other teams. So to completely make up for it, I wrote them this letter)


To my brave opening-weekend debaters:


You are embarking on a great journey. A journey that will transcend many miles. Like 20 of them.


There are many perils which lie before you. But knowing the effort, care, and determination that you have put into preparing for this, I have no doubt that you will conquer your fears, exceed your expectations, and destroy those who stand in your way.

You are a Crusader! Like the brave knights of combat who sought the gates of heaven in days of old, you too seek a great treasure. Namely, a winning record at a local debate tournament.


This step is the first of many. And as you cross this first threshold, you will become emboldened by realizing that you are capable of accomplishing so much more than believed possible. And as you face and overcome these challenges, remember these words of wisdom:


  • Don’t just talk good. Talk gooder than the other team.
  • Your judges don’t care about how fast you speak, but they do care about how well you wield those words in verbal combat.
  • Double negatives are a no-no.
  • The words “I think,” and “I believe” sound good in your head. Make sure those words stay in your head and don’t leave your mouth.
  • Don’t just make good arguments, but point out why your opponents’ arguments are bad.
  • Judges are like spies. They’re everywhere. Even when you think they’re not. Always act like one is watching you.


My last piece of advice is simple. Help your comrades. Make certain that you not only have everything you need, but that your teammates do as well. You are a squad. A team. An indivisible unit of power. When one succeeds, we all succeed.


I look forward to seeing you on Monday. Go forth. And do well!

Mr. Bauer

No comments:

Post a Comment