Pages

Monday, September 9, 2013

I Didn't Die When I Saw The Conjuring

I've posted in the past about scary movies. Namely about zombies and about horror movies in general.

But this past summer I saw a horror movie that everyone seemed to claim must be the scariest thing to emerge from a movie theater since popcorn prices were raised to $10 a bucket.

Yes, I'm talking of course about The Conjuring.

My wife and I went with a couple of friends who had bought into the hype. Christina is pregnant, of course, and one of my friends was apparently concerned for her well-being.

"Um...do you think it's a good idea for a pregnant woman to be seeing this? What if the movie freaks her out so much that she...I don't know....goes into labor or something?"

We took our chances.

But I was a bit disappointed. It was a good movie, don't get me wrong. But single scariest movie ever made? Not really.

I hadn't quite grasped from the trailers that this was just another exorcism movie. I've seen my fair share of these films. I gotta tell ya, it definitely makes being Catholic look exciting. I can almost picture a hotline to the Vatican where the pope has to dispatch secret agents to fight these demons in their houses.

That's probably the biggest reason I didn't find myself on the edge of my seat like some of the folks in the theater. Exorcism movies aren't really novelties for me anymore.

1 comment:

  1. When I watched The Conjuring I fell asleep because I didn't think it was scary.

    ReplyDelete