Pages

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Citizenship Day

It was an inspiring day to work with the Buhler High School kids around on different projects in the community.

It's always a good day when you see groups of young people working to benefit their community. Recently (and separately) our English department began participating in Socktober. It was something started by "Kid President" on Youtube. You can check out the video below:


So far my classes have raised a box full of items, although we've only been at it two days and I only have 40 English kids. The idea to start participating in it came from Jason Kohls and all of our kids and their families have been tremendous in their response. Jason has been having to clean out more and more of his classroom closet to make way for the items kids have been bringing in.

Civic responsibility isn't something that has always been strong with me. It was probably weakest while I was in college simply because Fort Hays wasn't necessarily "home." It was where I lived and where I had friends, but Hays wasn't "home" for them, either. Now that I'm settled, I own a house, and have a child on the way, everyone pitching in to help each other out takes on a new level of importance.

It's important to me that the needy in our community get what they need because it's important to me that my community reflect the values that I strive to maintain. If that simply were not the case, I feel that there would be a greater sense of apathy. The notion that we are our brother's keeper would be gone.

Yes, I have a responsibility to others in my community. It is real. It matters. Just like it matters to an entire basketball team when one player fails a class. It also matters that we do unto others the way we'd have them do unto us.

Socktober. Citizenship Day. It's not an assignment. It's a duty.

No comments:

Post a Comment